When considering whether to upgrade your yard with a retaining wall, you might wonder if it can add value to your home. The answer to this may seem obvious once you know what a retaining wall can do for your property!
Retain Soil and Water
As its name suggests, a retaining wall’s primary purpose is to retain. It retains soil and water, holding it back from going where it shouldn’t. Retaining walls often come with built-in water drainage systems that redirect water to storm drains and other waterways. This can prevent rainwater-related erosion that could negatively affect your foundation and also keep waterlogged, mosquito-friendly patches from appearing in your yard.
To get the most value out of your upgrade, you will want to choose the type of retaining wall that best suits your home and your goals. The four most common types of retaining walls include:
This type of retaining wall uses sheer weight and mass to hold back the soil. That means heavier materials like bricks and stone are needed. This wall usually requires at least a small trench for the wall to fit into a concrete footer.
Also known as a reinforced retaining wall, this type of wall is made of concrete or masonry and uses steel bars. It is affixed to a slab foundation underneath the soil.
If you’re short on space and have soft soil, you might want this retaining wall. It’s a thin wall of wood, steel, or vinyl that’s driven right into the soil. Often this wall has a vertically corrugated structure for extra reinforcement.
This type of retaining wall is sometimes used for additional support for other types of retaining walls. It features anchors that are driven into the earth behind a wall and attached by strips or cables.
Organize Your Yard
Retaining walls can create defined, usable spaces in your backyard. Some examples include:
- Designating a garden area
- Protecting a patio where you host cookouts
- Establishing a section of your yard for your dog’s use
- Defining a kids’ play area
Add Curb Appeal
Allmaster Home Services can build retaining walls that aren’t just durable and functional but stylish, too. This is a great way to increase your home’s curb appeal so it will stand out on the market. You can complement your landscaping with a retaining wall that matches your aesthetic whether you prefer:
- Decorative block – Choose from a large variety of colors, patterns, and styles with a retaining wall focused on aesthetic appeal.
- Timber – For a natural look, we suggest this pressure-treated wood wall.
- Concrete – This type of wall is known for its strength but is also built for those who just like the look of concrete.
- Cinder block – This classic wall consists of cinder blocks that are stacked in an interlocking configuration.
Trust the Experts With Your Retaining Wall
Landscaping is a timeless addition to your property and provides practical and stylish enhancements for your yard. For these reasons, including a retaining wall will add value to your home, provided you choose the right contractor. Because of all that a retaining wall must do to stand up against weather, soil, and water, it must be built with expertise and care.
If you’re you should contact Allmaster Home Services for your retaining wall needs. We’re a family-owned and -operated business that homeowners trust with our many years of experience and achievements including:
- A+ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Best of Houzz 2015 and 2016
- Best of HomeAdvisor 2016
- HomeAdvisor Screened and Approved
- HomeAdvisor Top Rated Contractor in Baltimore
- Angie’s List
To get a retaining wall for your backyard, contact us and we’ll set up a free in-home consultation.